Cultivate the art of patience
Creating and maintaining the right investment strategy plays a vital role in securing your financial future. But we live in the era of the 24-hour news cycle, and ‘bad news sells’. The investment world can be unpredictable and investors currently have plenty of bad news to process, with a plethora of events making the daily and even hourly news headlines – from the US-China trade conflict and oil price volatility, to Britain’s exit from the European Union. On page 06, we consider why it’s important to stay positive and focus on your investment goals.
Once we enter January, the end of the 2019/20 tax year will be just over three months away on 5 April. As this date approaches, the window of opportunity reduces if you want to make the most of valuable allowances, reliefs and exemptions that could help reduce your tax bill and make sure your finances stay tax-efficient.
Read the full article on page 04. On 3 October, campaigners lost a significant legal battle against the Government’s handling of the rise in women’s State Pension age. The retirement age for women has increased from 60 to 65, in line with men, and will go up to 66 by 2020, and to 67 by 2028. Nearly four million women have been affected by these changes. On page 08, we consider the impact of the High Court’s decision. Also inside this issue, we look at whether some people are ‘sleepwalking’ into retirement and how much you will need to save to afford a comfortable retirement. We assess, too, how the financial implications of divorce, added to the emotional upheaval, can be difficult to deal with.
- Page 03 ‘SLEEPWALKING’ INTO RETIREMENT How much will you need to save to afford a comfortable retirement?
- Page 04 TAX-WISE Make the most of your valuable allowances, reliefs and exemptions
- Page 06 CULTIVATE THE ART OF PATIENCE Avoid knee-jerk reactions by focusing on long-term investment objectives
- Page 07 FOR RICHER, FOR POORER Pension and asset advice should be part of the divorce process
- Page 08 WOMEN’S STATE PENSION AGE CHANGES Government’s bid to ensure ‘pension age equalisation’
- Page 10 TAX-EFFICIENT SHELTERS Use your ISA allowance or lose it forever
- Page 11 EVERY JOURNEY STARTS WITH A DESTINATION Looking at the bigger picture for your wealth and security
- Page 12 MONEY LESSONS 5 tips that add up to teaching your child about money matters